Thursday, July 03, 2008

Investing vs. Trading...

I have traded few stocks in the past but mostly I have been an investor. I haven't made any loss in the market so far that's because I never had selling pressure. I could always wait to sell for reasonable profit. Not sure same logic can work for trader.

I thought now is better timing to understand and throw my hands into. Because short selling, Intra-day trading always fascinated me. Partly because- if you know the game well enough and can read charts, it can fetches better returns than say when you stay invested in good stocks for a reasonable period of time. Ofcourse volatile market is trader’s paradise and nowadays that seems to be the cases. so I thought it may be optimal to try out now.

Mindset is completely different thou. Investing is trusting company with mid/long-term view. So timing buy is not really very important (thou its helps to maximize profit).

I did some reading about tricks, rules of the game and I find following discipline needed for reasonable success:
  • Set your objective- profit and loss goals (+/-10%, etc...)
  • Don't enter a trade if you are unsure of the trend.
  • When in doubt, get out, and don't get in when in doubt.
  • Be willing to make money from both sides of the market.
  • Always Trade at the markets and never limit your orders.
  • Never get out of the market because you have lost patience, or get in because you are anxiously waiting.
  • Don't follow a blind man's advice.
  • When you lose don't blame it on luck.
  • Never risk more than 10% of your total portfolio in a single trade.
  • Always use stop loss orders.
  • Avoid taking small profits and large losses.
  • Never cancel a stop loss after you have placed it.
  • Never buy or sell just because the price is low or high.
  • Never change your position without a good reason.
  • Avoid getting in wrong and out wrong; or getting in right and out wrong. This is making a double mistake.
  • Avoid trading after long periods of success or failure.
  • Don't try to guess tops or bottoms.
Open for more insights.

useful link: How to be a successful day trader?

No comments: